After upgrading to 20.04 my Gnome session dies constantly. How do I troubleshoot?

Spread the love

I know my Asus laptop is not the best for Linux. I’ve had problems with all previous versions of Ubuntu, but only with suspend/resume. I was randomly unable to resume after being suspended. However, things got worse from 20.04. My Gnome session dies in two to three days. Now, when I work from home, I do the same routine every day: Firefox for personal affairs, Chrome for work-related work, Citrix Workspace for remote access, Nautilus and sometimes LibreOffice. Everything looks good after a new login. After a few hours, mouse and keyboard response will slow down. After a day or two, I face periodical freezes up to 10-20 minutes.The hard drive light is always on and it looks like a heavy swap is taking place. If I am able to switch to a virtual terminal, I see that either Firefox or Chrome is consuming CPU. But gradually gnome-shell starts to outpace the CPU consumption. Finally, the session freezes completely, and my laptop is not registered on the network anymore. To rule out hardware issues, I spent two weeks by using Windows 10 on my laptop. I didn’t have any problem. Just once closing the lid did not let the laptop sleep. Opening a lot of pages in browsers slows down the response, but in any case, the response time on Windows is always acceptable.
How can I troubleshoot the problem?
Thanks, Yury.
I added the required information
free -h
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 7.6Gi 4.7Gi 712Mi 1.6Gi 2.2Gi 1.0Gi
Swap: 2.0Gi 1.6Gi 427Mi
sysctl vm.swappiness
vm.swappiness = 60
ls -al ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
total 16
drwxrwxr-x 4 yury yury 4096 May 1 17:34 .
drwx—— 4 yury yury 4096 Sep 12 14:03 ..
drwxrwxr-x 3 yury yury 4096 May 9 23:10 [email protected]
drwxr-xr-x 2 yury yury 4096 Jun 29 21:30 [email protected]
ls -al /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jan 9 2020 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Aug 18 09:54 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 18 09:54 [email protected]
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 May 8 19:00 [email protected]
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 29 14:57 [email protected]
sudo dmidecode -s bios-version
X556UQ.315
It is original ASUS X556U laptop
The laptop has two graphic cards:
lspci | grep -i –color ‘vga|3d|2d’
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] (rev 07)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 940MX] (rev a2)
Previously I always had problems with nouveau, so I installed propitiatory NVIDIA drivers.

X ITM Cloud News

Marisa

Next Post

Which USB WiFi adapters work with Ubuntu out of the box (without installing anything at all)?

Sat Sep 12 , 2020
Spread the love          I’ve only found this article https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported and it’s very old, many of the sub-pages are last edited in 2015 or 2016, and many vendors are simply not there at all. I need to order a Wi-Fi dongle for a relative who almost doesn’t know how to use a […]
X- ITM

Cloud Computing – Consultancy – Development – Hosting – APIs – Legacy Systems

X-ITM Technology helps our customers across the entire enterprise technology stack with differentiated industry solutions. We modernize IT, optimize data architectures, and make everything secure, scalable and orchestrated across public, private and hybrid clouds.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is x-itmdc.jpg

The enterprise technology stack includes ITO; Cloud and Security Services; Applications and Industry IP; Data, Analytics and Engineering Services; and Advisory.

Watch an animation of  X-ITM‘s Enterprise Technology Stack

We combine years of experience running mission-critical systems with the latest digital innovations to deliver better business outcomes and new levels of performance, competitiveness and experiences for our customers and their stakeholders.

X-ITM invests in three key drivers of growth: People, Customers and Operational Execution.

The company’s global scale, talent and innovation platforms serve 6,000 private and public-sector clients in 70 countries.

X-ITM’s extensive partner network helps drive collaboration and leverage technology independence. The company has established more than 200 industry-leading global Partner Network relationships, including 15 strategic partners: Amazon Web Services, AT&T, Dell Technologies, Google Cloud, HCL, HP, HPE, IBM, Micro Focus, Microsoft, Oracle, PwC, SAP, ServiceNow and VMware

X ITM